Any woman who continues to have issues with her breasts after a previous augmentation surgery is a candidate for a second implant surgery, as long as she is in good general health. There are all kinds of conditions or reasons to redo the surgery, although they are all fairly rare and non-threatening. The most common ones include:
• Breast Capsular Contraction. The body’s natural response system recognizes the implant as a foreign matter after it is placed into the body. Thus, it forms a scar capsule, which surrounds the implant and walls it off from the rest of the body. This condition occurs when the scar tissue thickens and then constricts around the implant due to an inflammatory process, making it unnaturally hard. It isn’t known exactly what causes this response or why it happens to some women and not to others, although there are a few theories. Currently, it is thought that a low-grade infection causes the inflammation around the implant and begins the formation of the scar tissue.
• Laxity of the skin as part of the normal aging process, which changes the breast’s shape.
• Rupture or deflation of the breast implant.
• Bleeding or infection in the early postoperative period. Even though this is not common, it may happen in one to two percent of patients across the nation.
• Changes and stretching of the skin because of breastfeeding and pregnancy.
Unless there is a serious issue, which is very uncommon, there usually isn’t a medical reason to change the implant. There are, however, a few personal decisions you can make in changing your implant. These include:
• Receiving a breast lift.
• Replacing the implants with a larger or smaller size.
• Switching between silicone and saline implants.
• Taking the implants out altogether.
As revision breast implant surgery will take more skill, artistic ability, and precision than the first breast augmentation surgery, it is important to look for quality and trust in a doctor. Each patient’s case needs to be looked at on an individual basis to devise a personal treatment plan and get the best possible outcome. In the end, there are many advantages to this surgery. There is nothing to be scared of. Whatever decision is made, breast implant correction helps women everywhere feel better about their bodies.